Address: St Mary’s Street, Bungay, Suffolk, NR35 1AX
Opening times: Open daily.
Accessibility notes: St Mary’s Church is located in Bungay town centre. There is a small step into the nave from the porch.
Tower: 15th Century stone and flint panelled and with octagonal buttresses carried up above the parapet as pinnacles. The base and parapet are richly traceried and carved. Crowned ‘M’s above the West window. Much of the upper part of the Tower was rebuilt after the fire in 1688.
North Porch: 15th Century. Strange carvings over outer door. Stoups in buttresses at entrance.
North Aisle: 15th Century. Gargoyles. Buttresses with canopied niches and parapet with delicate lace-like cresting. Doorway with stoup, giving access to former chapel.
South Aisle: 15th Century perpendicular. The cloisters of the nunnery joined this wall of the church. The present flints were added in the last century.
Nave: At the west end, the fine decorated windows, 28 feet high. The east wall was probably built after the dissolution of the nunnery and the high east window is thought to be 17th Century. From this wall extend some remains of the former nunnery.
North Porch: The much restored groinings: the central boss (with emblems of the Passion and angel heads) is original. The door incorporating ancient studded panels.
North Aisle: 17th century Flemish woodcarving of the Resurrection behind the altar table, given by Sir H Rider Haggard. Much mutilated piscina. 17th Century altar table of which the legs may have been added later. Representative collection of 18th Century mural tablets on the wall. Carved wooden Dole Cupboard with rebus ‘Q-rat’ dated 1675, but thought to be 19th Century. Font of about 1700. Lead panel (behind font) taken from North Aisle roof and dated 1792.
South Aisle: Double piscina with griffins in roundels and a mitred head. Roof bosses, some of which maybe mediaeval and one dated 1699.
Nave: The arcades are early 14th Century, much restored. All the roofs are 19th Century incorporating some earlier woodwork. The three Eastern-most bays of the nave roof are slightly elaborated.